Page 1 of 1 pages
(8 pictures)
Picture relating to Mackay - titled 'Looking north across the bridge towards Homebush Mill, Mackay, ca. 1895'
Picture relating to Brisbane River - titled 'Looking towards Victoria Bridge from Kangaroo Point Cliffs, ca. 1895'
Picture relating to Townsville - titled 'Main street of Townsville looking over to the range, ca. 1895'
Picture relating to Indooroopilly - titled 'Indooroopilly Railway Bridge, Brisbane, 1895'
Picture relating to Indooroopilly - titled 'Construction of the second Indooroopilly Railway Bridge, Brisbane, May 1895'
Picture relating to Rockhampton - titled 'Fitzroy Bridge, Rockhampton, ca. 1895'
Picture relating to Herberton - titled 'View of the township of Herberton, Queensland, ca.1895'
Picture relating to Brisbane - titled 'View over the central business district of Brisbane, 1895'

Construction of the second Indooroopilly Railway Bridge, Brisbane, May 1895

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1895
(contact QldPics about this picture)

The second Indooroopilly Railway Bridge was opened on August 17, 1895. It replaced the Albert Railway Bridge which was washed away in the 1893 flood. The bridge was designed by Henry Charles Stanley, Chief Engineer of Railways, and at the time was the largest bridge in Australia which was wholly of local manufacture. The bridge consisted of two steel spans, supported on abutments of masonry and a central concrete pier encased in an iron caisson to low water mark and then built up with masonry to the bearings of the girders. Each span was 10.3 m long and each weighed about 610 tonnes. A neatly designed footway was carried on the bridge's upstream side. Stanley's bridge is still in use today although it has been supplemented with an adjacent bridge to cope with increased traffic. [Information taken from: Janet Hogan, Living history of Brisbane, 1982]

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: