Page 1 of 8 pages
(127 pictures)
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to The Channon - titled 'The Channon - Protesters Falls'
Picture relating to The Channon - titled 'The Channon - Protesters Falls'
Picture relating to Keppel Ridge - titled 'Keppel Ridge'
Picture relating to Gleniffer - titled 'Gleniffer Falls'
Picture relating to St Ives - titled 'Phantom Falls'
Picture relating to St Ives - titled 'Fern Tree Creek falls'
Picture relating to Tasman Peninsula - titled 'Tasman Peninsula'
Picture relating to Tasman Peninsula - titled 'Tasman Peninsula'
Picture relating to Chichester Range - titled 'Millstream Falls, Ravenshoe Qld'
Picture relating to Chichester Range - titled 'Edge of the Nullarbor'
Picture relating to Bukbukluk Lookout - titled 'Bukbukluk Lookout'

Browse by page:

- select a page

Sort the collection:

Narrow the collection:

- click on a year

Collection currently narrowed to pictures of Localities.
Click here to show pictures for all places

- click on a type of place

Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS

contributed by GraemeReid, taken on 4 February 2010
(contact GraemeReid about this picture | see more pictures from GraemeReid - open in new window)

A view of a Pelton wheel turbine and a generator. This is one of the later seven units, installed between 1918 and 1923 and is partly dismantled to show the workings. Pelton turbines are used when the water that turns them falls from a great height which was in this case, 1,123 feet. These 8,000 horsepower units operated at 375 revolutions per minute and produced 6,000 kilowatts.
The Pelton wheel turbine runner that turned the generators, were made by Boving and Co. Limited London; while the alternating current generators were made by General Electric co. Schenectady, N.Y,. U.S.A.. Between 1912 and 1922, until a road was built, heavy equipment such as this, had to be delivered by means of a wooden tramway constructed through the dense forest country with teams of horses pulling the loads..

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Horses (open in new window) photo collection.