Page 1 of 1 pages
(7 pictures)
Picture relating to Murgon - titled 'Motor and horse traffic in Lamb Street, Murgon, ca. 1924'
Picture relating to Hughenden - titled 'Meg Cameron riding the horse,Sunlight, at the Hughenden Show, 1924'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Warwick Cup race meet, 1924'
Picture relating to Brisbane - titled 'Horse racing on the racetrack in Brisbane, Queensland,1924'
Picture relating to Canungra - titled 'Granny Duncan's funeral procession, Canungra, 1924'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Large crowd attending the races, Warwick, 1924'
Picture relating to Nebo - titled 'Stan and Marion Perry with their horse, King Gazara, at Nebo, ca. 1924'

Motor and horse traffic in Lamb Street, Murgon, ca. 1924

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1924
(contact QldPics about this picture)

The first European settlers arrived in the Murgon area in 1843, taking up land which is now known as Barrambah Station. Murgon derived its name from a lily pond located on Barambah Station. The rich and fertile land was used for agriculture and dairying. Logging was another prosperous industry. The town didn't start to develop until the early 1900s. Large properties were divided into smaller allotments, and the local population increased. The town was surveyed and the sale of these lots took place in 1906. A butter factory was opened in 1913 and a grain shed was built the following year. (Information taken from Murgon Shire Council website, 2005, retrieved on 9 March 2005, from <http://www.murgon.qld.gov.au/history/htm>)