Page 1 of 26 pages
(415 pictures)
Picture relating to Cleveland - titled 'Picnic at Cleveland Lighthouse, ca. 1871'
Picture relating to Port Denison - titled 'Stone Island Lighthouse in Bowen Harbour, 1876'
Picture relating to Fraser Island - titled 'Whim for handling up stores to the lighthouse, Sandy Cape, Fraser Island, Queensland, ca. 1903'
Picture relating to Sandy Cape - titled 'Whim at the Sandy Cape Lighthouse, Fraser Island, ca. 1903'
Picture relating to Sandy Cape - titled 'Esmond and Clarence Byrne, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Pine Islets - titled 'Hoisting supplies at Pine Islet Lighthouse Queensland, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Sandy Cape - titled 'Superintendent's house at Sandy Cape Lighthouse, ca.1907'
Picture relating to Fraser Island - titled 'Lighthouse keeper on the steps of Sandy Cape Lighthouse, Fraser Island, Queensland, ca. 1907'
Picture relating to Fraser Island - titled 'View of the Sandy Cape Lighthouse from lower on the promintory, ca. 1907'
Picture relating to Cleveland - titled 'Christmas postcard featuring horses and buggies at Cleveland lighthouse, ca. 1908'
Picture relating to Cleveland - titled 'Christmas postcard showing Cleveland pier, ca. 1908'
Picture relating to Sandy Cape - titled 'Claire Byrne posing with her doll at Sandy Cape, Fraser Island, Queensland, ca. 1908'
Picture relating to Bowen - titled 'North Head lighthouse, ca. 1908'
Picture relating to Sandy Cape - titled 'Byrne sisters, Sandy Cape, 1910-1920'
Picture relating to Fraser Island - titled 'Tea break near the beach on Fraser Island, Queensland, ca. 1911'
Picture relating to Cape Moreton - titled 'Group of people photographed at Cape Moreton, Moreton Island, Queensland, ca. 1914'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

    Sort the collection:

    Narrow the collection:

    - click on a year

    - click on a type of place

    Picnic at Cleveland Lighthouse, ca. 1871

    contributed by QldPics, taken in 1871
    (contact QldPics about this picture)


    Cleveland was called 'Emu Point' by the squatters who knew the district in the 1840s. Then Assistant Surveyor Warner named it in honour of the Duke of Cleveland (also known as Baron Raby) in July 1851. Throughout the 1870s, it was a popular watering-place, patronised by day-trippers, convalescent patients and early holiday-makers. The lighthouse, the second in the area, was erected in 1864, and remained at this location until 1975, when it was moved about 30 meres away and replaced with a new light.