Page 1 of 12 pages
(190 pictures)
Picture relating to Bundanoon - titled 'Bundanoon 'A short history''
Picture relating to Carss Park - titled 'Carss Park 18'
Picture relating to Ramsgate - titled 'Scarborough Park Wildlife 7'
Picture relating to Ramsgate - titled 'Scarborough Park Wildlife 8'
Picture relating to Ramsgate - titled 'Scarborough Park Playing Fields'
Picture relating to Ramsgate - titled 'Scarborough Park Wildlife 6'
Picture relating to Carss Park - titled 'Carss Park 37'
Picture relating to Tuross Head - titled 'Tuross Head viewed from Eurobodalla National Park'
Picture relating to Cape Palmerston National Park - titled 'Cape Palmerston National Park'
Picture relating to Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park - titled 'Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park'
Picture relating to Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park - titled 'Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park'
Picture relating to Monga National Park - titled 'Monga National Park'
Picture relating to Monga National Park - titled 'Monga National Park'
Picture relating to Oatley - titled 'Oatley Park flora'
Picture relating to Ramsgate - titled 'Scarborough Park itself 1'
Picture relating to Grampians National Park - titled 'Grampians National Park'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

    Sort the collection:

    Narrow the collection:

    Collection currently narrowed to the year 2008.
    Click here to show pictures for all years

    - click on a year

    - click on a type of place

    Bundanoon 'A short history'

    contributed by GPecham, taken on 27 December 2008
    (contact GPecham about this picture | see more pictures from GPecham - open in new window)

    This is a sign on the side of the Old Goods Shed. It reads:
    "The site of the present village of Bundanoon had been a meeting and trading place for the Wadi-Wadi and Gandagara peoples. The area was explored in 1818 by Charles Throsby who, with the help of Aboriginal guides, found a route down to Jervis Bay from Marulan. Early European settlement was more towards Sutton Forest and south-west. After the passing of the Land Act 1861, selectors began taking up land for farming around present day Bundanoon.
    Development continues with the construction of the southern railway line. The area had supplies of coal, freestone and timber, all necessary for the railways, and, by 1866 when the line was completed, the village of Jordan's Crossing (or Jordan's Siding) was established.
    By 1880, the primitive Methodist Church, the Anglican Church and the public school were fully established and businesses, such as the Commercial Hotel, general stores and sawmills, had sprung up on both sides of the railway line. Over the years there were two coals mines and a quarry operating in the Gullies. Early settler and benefactor, W.A.Nicholas, manufactured his Golden Cross brand powders and potions in the building known as the "pill factory" in Anzac Parade.
    After the subdivision of some larger properties the resultant village was officially named Bundanoon in 1881. The name is an adaptation of the Aboriginal word meaning "deep gullies".
    Guest houses flourished, as tourists from Sydney used the new railway to holiday in the area. During the peak years for tourism, Bundanoon had approximately 68 guest houses, some large, some just the family home catering for paying guests. Attractions included the scenery at the Bundanoon State Park (The Gullies), the invigorating weather, walking, riding, tennis, golf and swimming in Paddy's River. Although some of the buildings are still standing, only a few operate as tourist accommodation such as the Youth Hostel.
    After World War II, car travel allowed holidays further afield and the popularity of Bundanoon as a holiday destination waned. However, the beauty of the natural bush in the Morton National Park still attracts visitors. Tourism remains a major industry with many new attractions, such as wineries, open gardens and "Brigadoon", Bundanoon's event of the year, when up to 20,000 people flock to our village."