Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Cloncurry - titled 'Horse and camel team, Cloncurry, ca. 1904'
Picture relating to Bundaberg - titled 'Woman feeding a horse at South Kolan, Bundaberg, 1904-1906'
Picture relating to Blackall - titled 'Saddling paddock, Blackall, Queensland, 1904'
Picture relating to Maryborough - titled 'Bert, Ed and Harry Hope of Maryborough, 1904'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Lemon and Enright store in Charleville, ca. 1904'

Horse and camel team, Cloncurry, ca. 1904

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1904
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Camel teams were used effectively in the Cloncurry region in the late nineteenth century. Many mines in the Selwyn and Argylla Ranges were inaccessible to wheeled vehicles. Camels were sturdier than horses or bullocks and did not require an established track to follow. The teams were operated by Afghani drivers. Afghan camps in the Clocurry area existed at Coppermine Creek, where a mosque was situated, and at Duchess, Rosebud and Urquhart siding (Information taken from: P. Hardy, A short history of the Cloncurry district, 1983).
The camels in this image are heavily laden with large boxes. A station windmill can be seen in the background and a dog stands to the left.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: