Page 1 of 73 pages
(1157 pictures)
Picture relating to Cape Peron - titled ''K' Battery blockhouse, Cape Peron WA'
Picture relating to Gunns Plains - titled 'Gunns Plains'
Picture relating to Langhorne Creek - titled 'Langhorne Creek SA 5255'
Picture relating to Cowell - titled 'Cowell Sa 5602'
Picture relating to Birdwood - titled 'Birdwood SA 5234'
Picture relating to Birdwood - titled 'Birdwood SA 5234'
Picture relating to Mallacoota - titled 'Mallacoota'
Picture relating to Mallacoota - titled 'Mallacoota'
Picture relating to Evandale - titled 'Statue of Harry Murray, the most decorated soldier in WW1 '
Picture relating to Fremantle - titled ' Historic legacy, Fremantle Harbour WA'
Picture relating to Kangaroo Valley - titled 'Kangaroo Valley'
Picture relating to Cleveland - titled 'Cleveland'
Picture relating to Allora - titled 'Old School of Arts'
Picture relating to Sydney - titled 'Spirit Of New Zealand - at the RAN Centenary Celebrations 2013. Sydney'
Picture relating to Sydney - titled 'Navy Centenary. Art photo.Sydney'
Picture relating to Sydney - titled 'Navy Centenary. Art photo. Sydney'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

    Sort the collection:

    Narrow the collection:

    - click on a year

    - click on a type of place

    'K' Battery blockhouse, Cape Peron WA

    contributed by GerryRyder, taken on 23 March 2016
    (contact GerryRyder about this picture | see more pictures from GerryRyder - open in new window)

    'K' Battery was one of a series of gun emplacements sited to protect the approaches to Fremantle Harbour during WWII. These installations included one on Rottnest Island consisting of a pair of WWI-vintage 9 inch ex-naval guns, the largest in the series.
    During WWII, Fremantle Harbour was an important and busy submarine base, mainly for the US Navy, but with British and Dutch boats present as well. 'K' Battery was the southernmost emplacement, sited at Point (Cape) Peron and equipped with a pair of 155 mm ex-US Army weapons, mounted on a radial base known as a 'Panama mount' to facilitate traversing of these large field guns by man-power. The blockhouse shown here overlooks the site which is being partially restored as a memorial to those who served in the coastal battery system. Many were women because their menfolk were overseas in the services.
    'K' Battery was stood down in early 1945 as the war receded to the far north toward Japan.

    This picture is also part of the Bonzle Memorials (open in new window) photo collection.