Sort the collection:
Narrow the collection:
Collection currently narrowed to the year 1873.
Click here to show pictures for all years
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
St Mark's Church of England, Warwick, ca. 1873
contributed by QldPics, taken in 1873
(contact QldPics about this picture)
The first Anglican service in Warwick was held in about 1848. Services were held in the old Court House in Alice Street until 1858 when a timber church was constructed on the site of the present stone building in Grafton Street. The Reverend Benjamin Glennie held Anglican services in Warwick as the Incumbent of Moreton Bay and the Darling Downs from 1860 until 1872. The foundation stone of the present sandstone church was laid by Bishop Tuffnell on 19 March 1868. John McCulloch was the contractor of this early section of the present building. The stone used was quarried from Bishop Tuffnell's Sidling Quarries.
This stone building, which was erected between 1868 and 1872, consisted of a short nave, transepts, chancel and a small octagonal vestry in the corner of the chancel and southern transept. A broach spire surmounted the intersection of the nave of the church and the transepts and the roof was of timber shingles. The architect chosen for the building was Brisbane based Richard George Suter. (Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2007 database, retrieved 28 November 2007, from <http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/heritage/index.cgi?place=600943&back=1>)
This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections:
This picture was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the City, Town or Village 'Warwick'.
- add a photo of Warwick: click here to add your own photo of Warwick
- info about Warwick: click here for the Bonzle entry on Warwick (open in new window)
- map of Warwick: click here for the Bonzle map of Warwick (open in new window)
- more pictures of Warwick: click here for more pictures of Warwick (open in new window)