Sort the collection:
Narrow the collection:
Collection currently narrowed to the year 1876.
Click here to show pictures for all years
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
Woody Point shoreline, ca. 1876
contributed by QldPics, taken in 1876
(contact QldPics about this picture)
Woody Point is on the southern tip of Redcliffe Peninsula, on the shores of Bramble Bay. In 1799, Matthew Flinders landed on the peninsula and named the location Red Cliff Point after the colours in the cliffs. In 1823 the peninsula was selected as the site of Queensland s first penal colony but, by 1825 the prisoners were moved further up the Brisbane River to escape the mosquitoes and the menace posed by local Aborigines. Redcliffe was once a small seaside retreat 40 km north of Brisbane. When the Hornibrook and Houghton Highways linked Brighton, an outer Brisbane suburb, to the Redcliffe peninsula, Redcliffe then became much more accessible and grew as part of Brisbane's suburban sprawl.
This picture was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Locality 'Woody Point'.
- add a photo of Woody Point: click here to add your own photo of Woody Point
- info about Woody Point: click here for the Bonzle entry on Woody Point (open in new window)
- map of Woody Point: click here for the Bonzle map of Woody Point (open in new window)
- more pictures of Woody Point: click here for more pictures of Woody Point (open in new window)