Page 1 of 1 pages
(4 pictures)
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Illustration of a scene in albion Street, Warwick, ca. 1886'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Laying the foundation stone for the Masonic Hall, Warwick, 1886'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Australian Joint Stock Bank in Warwick, ca. 1886'
Picture relating to Rockhampton - titled 'Sketch of Customs House Rockhampton, Queensland, ca.1886'

Illustration of a scene in albion Street, Warwick, ca. 1886

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1886
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Warwick was the first town on the Darling Downs and was established in 1849 on the banks of the Condamine River. The area was discovered in 1827 by explorer Allan Cunningham and first settled by the Leslie brothers who were pastoralists and sheep farmers. In 1871 the railway from Ipswich was completed. The rich grazing land around the area supports horse and cattle studs, fine wool and high quality produce. Warwick is situated 158km south west of Brisbane on the Cunningham Highway.
Illustration shows horsedrawn vehicles and people walking in the street. The Post, Telegraph and Land Offices are in the background.