Page 1 of 1 pages
(2 pictures)
Picture relating to Queensland - titled 'South Brisbane Town Hall, ca.1892'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Warwick Town Hall, ca. 1892'

South Brisbane Town Hall, ca.1892

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1892
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Work began on the South Brisbane Town Hall, situated on the corner of Vulture and Graham Streets, in 1891. The hall was designed by architects John Hall and Son and the builder was Abraham James. After the work had been in progress for several months the firm of Mr James went bankrupt. Tenders were invited to complete the work and on January 5, 1892 the top stone of the tower was set in place by the Mayor, Alderman Heaslop. The final cost was £11,000. The official opening was on 1 July 1892 and the Brisbane Courier described the building as 'one of the most ornate and elegant buildings in the city'. It was not until 1904 that the clock was installed in the tower by Alfred George Jackson of the Synchronome Company.

The South Brisbane City Council occupied the building from 1892 until 1925 when the council was disbanded with the establishment of the Greater Brisbane Area. The building was then used as a Council Works Depot until it was occupied by the American Armed Services during World War II. After the war the building was converted into flats for the use of the families of Council Engineers recruited from England. In 1957, after extensive refurbishment, is was used for the Queensland Conservatorium of Music. From 1979 the building was used by the South Brisbane College of Technical and Further Education as the centre for its Extension Program. In 1999 it was bought by Somerville House School. (Information taken from: Buildings & Icons, retrieved on 21 December 2004 at <http://www.somerville.qld.edu.au/content/?id=46>)

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Military (open in new window) photo collection.