Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Stanthorpe - titled 'Stanthorpe Commercial Hotel, ca. 1897'

Stanthorpe Commercial Hotel, ca. 1897

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1897
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Kelly's Mining Exchange was the first hotel in Stanthorpe, and was licensed to Mr Kelly on 1 April, 1872. Mrs Kelly took over the licence in 1873 on the death of her husband . It was later known as the Commercial Hotel, licensed to Patrick Teylin in 1874. The architecture of the hotel is typical of early Queensland hotels with a bungalow style roof and diagonal wooden verandah railings. Three women are dressed in large white aprons standing in front of the hotel on the unsealed road. A sign on the roof reads 'Commercial and Family Hotel , P. Tevlin.'

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: