Page 1 of 1 pages
(2 pictures)
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Horsedrawn wagons pictured in the street outside The Caledonian Stores, Warwick, 1901'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Examiner and Times Newspaper office, Warwick, ca. 1901'

Horsedrawn wagons pictured in the street outside The Caledonian Stores, Warwick, 1901

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1901
(contact QldPics about this picture)


One of the oldest business establishments in Warwick is that of The Caledonian Stores, located at the corner of Palmerin and Grafton Streets and run by James de Conlay. The premises has a very extensive frontage onto both streets. The main building is a single storey but at the rear is a two storey building devoted almost entirely to the manufacture and show of furniture.

The business is a general one, covering drapery, groceries, ironmongery, furniture and machinery. They are also agents for Massey Harris Machinery, Manchester Fire and Insurance and Colonial Mutual Assurance. Each branch of the business has a department to itself with independent managers. All together there are about thirty staff employed. (Description supplied with photograph)