Page 1 of 1 pages
(6 pictures)
Picture relating to Kilcoy - titled 'William Street, Hopetoun, later renamed Kilcoy, 1906'
Picture relating to Kilcoy - titled 'Left arm of Kilcoy Creek, 1906'
Picture relating to Pittsworth - titled 'Group of men outside the Dominion Roller Flour Mills, Pittsworth, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Barcaldine - titled 'Bullock teams carrying wool bales to the railway station at Barcaldine, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Esk - titled 'Moving the Central Hotel in Esk, ca.1906'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Devitt family home in Warwick, Queensland, 1906'

William Street, Hopetoun, later renamed Kilcoy, 1906

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1906
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Kilcoy is in Queensland's Sunshine Coast hinterland. The town is north-west of Caboolture on the D’Aguilar Highway, just north of Lake Somerset and at the base of the Conondale Range. The area was first settled in 1841 by Scottish migrants who cleared land on the upper reaches of the Sandy and Kilcoy Creeks to run beef and dairy cattle. Timber felling and milling was also important in the early development of the town, which was established in the 1890s.

Originally called Kilcoy, the township changed name to Hopetoun in 1892 (after Louis Hope, a grazier, sugar miller and planter, who held Kilcoy pastoral property 1858-94). The town name was then was changed back to Kilcoy in 1907, because of confusion with similar place names in Victoria and Western Australia.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Farming (open in new window) photo collection.