Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Workers standing outside Roche's Building, Charleville, 1923'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Vickers Vulcan at Charleville, Queensland, April 1923'
Picture relating to Longreach - titled 'Qantas biplane on the Longreach runway, 1923'
Picture relating to Longreach - titled 'Qantas Bristol Freighter aeroplane, 1923'
Picture relating to Cloncurry - titled 'QANTAS biplane at Cloncurry, 1923'

Workers standing outside Roche's Building, Charleville, 1923

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1923
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Charleville is the largest town in South West Queensland and has a population of approximately 3300 people. It is a rich pastoral area and was first explored by Edmund Kennedy in 1847. Charleville was named by Surveyor W. Tully for his hometown in Ireland. Cobb and Co established their largest and longest running coach making factory in Charleville in 1886 and the railway line was connected from Brisbane in 1888. Charleville was one of the first airports used by Qantas to fly paying passengers to Longreach in 1922. It is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Charleville School of the Air.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: