Page 1 of 1 pages
(3 pictures)
Picture relating to Paddington - titled 'View from the grounds of Government House, Paddington, 1932'
Picture relating to Beerwah - titled 'Men gathered at the pine plantations at Beerwah, Queensland, 1932'
Picture relating to Brisbane - titled 'Aerial view of the Roma Street Railway yards and the central business district of Brisbane, 1932'

View from the grounds of Government House, Paddington, 1932

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1932
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Known as Fernberg (German for 'distant mountain') this was one of the first homes built in Paddington, Brisbane. It was erected in 1864 - 65 by Johann Heussler, a Brisbane merchant and later a member of parliament. Situated on two parcels of land bought in 1860 and 1862, the house was designed by local architect, Benjamin Backhouse. It was constructed of stone excavated on site and combined with a cement and lime mixture. The Heussler family occupied Fernberg until 1872 when they were forced to sell the property to new owners.
The first Queensland governor to occupy Ferberg was Governor Sir William MacGregor, who moved there in 1910, as a temporary measure, after the former Government House was handed over by the Government to form the nucleus of Queensland's first university. It was planned to build a new Government House in Victoria Park. Plans were drawn and foundations laid, but the project did not proceed, and the Queensland Government purchased Fernberg as a permanent Government House in 1911 for £10,000.

Many modifications have been made to the property over the years, the most recent being in 2001 when a multi-function building (the Pavilion) was built adjacent to the tennis court to replace an old change shed and to provide additional flexibility for hosting events at Government House. To complement the natural bush vegetation in the south-east corner of the estate, two connected ornamental ponds with an associated gazebo were constructed in 1987. The Government House grounds cover an area of some 14 hectares. (Information taken from Queensland Government House database 2003, retrieved 08 December 2005, from

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Architecture (open in new window) photo collection.