Page 1 of 1 pages
(7 pictures)
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Murweh Shire Council Chambers, 1933'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Ambulance Station at Charleville, 1933'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Town Hall, Charleville, 1933'
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Bridge over the Warrego River, Charleville, ca. 1933'
Picture relating to Chinchilla - titled 'Harvesting the first crop of wheat on land reclaimed from Prickly Pear infestation, Chinchilla, 1933'
Picture relating to Chinchilla - titled 'Land being cleared prior to planting crops after eradication of Prickly Pear, Milmerren district, August 1933'
Picture relating to Chinchilla - titled 'New road and fences through reclaimed Prickly Pear country near Chinchilla, July 1933'

Murweh Shire Council Chambers, 1933

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1933
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Charleville is the largest town in South West Queensland and has a population of approximately 3300 people. It is a rich pastoral area and was first explored by Edmund Kennedy in 1847. Charleville was named by Surveyor W. Tully for his hometown in Ireland. Cobb and Co established their largest and longest running coach making factory in Charleville in 1886 and the railway line was connected from Brisbane in 1888. Charleville was one of the first airports used by Qantas to fly paying passengers to Longreach in 1922. It is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Charleville School of the Air.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: