Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Charleville - titled 'Refuelling a small plane at Charleville airport, ca. 1938'
Picture relating to Boonah - titled 'Interior view of the living room at Coochin Coochin Station, ca. 1938'
Picture relating to Goomeri - titled 'Logs waiting at the railway yards, Goomeri, 1938'
Picture relating to Murgon - titled 'Clydesdale horses on a horse stud at Murgon, September 1938'
Picture relating to Callide - titled 'Russian farmers, Callide Valley, ca. 1938'

Refuelling a small plane at Charleville airport, ca. 1938

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1938
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Charleville is the largest town in South West Queensland and has a population of approximately 3300 people. It is a rich pastoral area and was first explored by Edmund Kennedy in 1847. Charleville was named by Surveyor W. Tully for his hometown in Ireland. Cobb and Co established their largest and longest running coach making factory in Charleville in 1886 and the railway line was connected from Brisbane in 1888. Charleville was one of the first airports used by Qantas to fly paying passengers to Longreach in 1922. It is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Charleville School of the Air.

There is a small truck with a sign Vacuum Oil Co. on it. A small plane is partly obscured by the truck as it is being refuelled and loaded with baggage. The airport building is in the background and a motor vehicle is parked to the side of the truck. Several men and a young lady are observing the operation.

This picture is also part of the following Bonzle photo collections: