Page 1 of 1 pages
(3 pictures)
Picture relating to Lyneham - titled 'Saint Ninian's Uniting Church in 1959'
Picture relating to Toowoomba - titled 'St Luke's Church of England at Toowoomba in 1959'
Picture relating to Maryborough - titled 'St. Columbas' Sunday school at the Presbyterian church in Maryborough, 1959'

Saint Ninian's Uniting Church in 1959

contributed by GPecham, taken in 1959
(contact GPecham about this picture | see more pictures from GPecham - open in new window)

This photo shows the stone church before it was extended. This photo appears on a sign outside the site of the church. The sign, in part reads: The Kinlyside family is believed to have built the original church in 1862 with funds from members of the congregation, many of whom became prominent settlers in our region: Cameron, Cook, Gillespie and Kilby.
On 4 January 1863, the first official service was held nearby in a church made of slab and bark along the Old Yass Road.
A permanent stone church was constructed during the 1870s. Towards the end of the century, the local population had boomed, necessitating an extension. The church served the areas of Weetangera and Ginninderra.
By 1912 a drought, a depression and the resumption of land by the Federal Government for Austalia's new capital city saw resident numbers plummet. Without a viable congregation the church fell into decline. For a brief period it was used as a sheep barn.
The minister of St Andrew's Church in Forrest, Reverend Harrison, campaigned to have the church restored in 1941. Christened St Ninian's, both of these churches' names reflect their Scottish heritage. In 1977 the congregation elected to become part of the Uniting Church of Australia.