- Desciption of Ararat's Green Hill Lake: Green Hill Lake with an area of 260 hectares is located just 4 kms from Ararat on the Western Highway ... read story
- Kyabra Waterhole: It's a real suprise to come onto such a fantastic waterhole in the middle of such dry and sometimes barren ... read story
- Memories of Tamboon: I spend many Christmas Holidays in the early 1950,s at Tamboon My Uncle was the Forest Commission Officer at ... read story
- Thomson Dam turn's 25 but is only 17% full: On 31 July 1984, the newly-built dam was officially included in the cityís total water storages for the first ... read story
- Thomson Dam - Melbourne's Drought Reserve: Interesting facts: * Thomsonís capacity is more than Melbourneís nine other reservoirs combined. ... read story
- The Two Devines: It was shearing-time at the Myall Lake, And there rose the sound thro' ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
Stories currently narrowed to those about Lakes and Dams.
Click here to show stories about all places
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
Desciption of Ararat's Green Hill Lake (18 December 2010)
contributed by rbdclean
(contact rbdclean about this story | see more stories from rbdclean)
Green Hill Lake with an area of 260 hectares is located just 4 kms from Ararat on the Western Highway east of Ararat and has a concrete walking and cycling path which runs from the city to the lake. The lake is full this year after very good rains in the area.
The lake is known for its trophy trout fishing, however due to dry conditions over the last years the fish have been depleted. New stocking has been started and 4000 rainbow and brown trout, about 15cm long have been released in October and more are due to be released in the next couple of months. Give a bit of time and trophy trout will again be the go. There is a tremendous amount of feed available to them so they will grow quickly.
Camping is available at the lake at $5 a night. There is no need to book as there are acres of camping places. There are no powered sites at this stage but hot water showers are available in the amenities block. A ranger visits the lake twice a day and collects the fees and can advise on tourist places to visit around Ararat or rules of the lake etc. Eight solid fuel BBQs are being placed around the lake and there are four different shelter buildings. An RV black water dump point is located in Ararat in Alexander Avenue opposite the Alexander lake and gardens.
The lake has two boat ramps and a pontoon and caters for skiing, fishing and sailing boats. swimming, bird watching, canoeing and walking. A lookout tower and bridge to an island, and canoe trails in the abundant wet lands area are other attractions. Many planted native trees have created bush land type settings around the area and have attracted many different bird species.
Ararat has a thriving shopping centre with everything visitors would require and is close to the Grampians, Mount Cole Park, Langi Ghiran State Park, many wineries and tourist attractions such as Gum san Chinese Heritage Centre, JWard gaol for the criminally insane, Langi Morgola Museum and the Railway Heritage Museum.
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Lake or Dam 'Green Hill Lake'.
- add a story about Green Hill Lake: click here to add a story about Green Hill Lake
- info about Green Hill Lake: click here for the Bonzle entry on Green Hill Lake (open in new window)
- map of Green Hill Lake: click here for the Bonzle map of Green Hill Lake (open in new window)
- pictures of Green Hill Lake: click here for pictures of Green Hill Lake (open in new window)