- Old gold diggings: After fires went through properties around 2013 old gold diggings were revealed where some hillsides were terraced and creeks dug ... read story
- Nambung Station: Nambung Station has a B&B accommodation and a campsite for caravans, tents, RVs etc with ablutions provided.... read story
- Yarramunmun Mine: The deposit was discovered by BHP in 1970. It consists of a mineralised quartz vein hosted in Ordovician ... read story
- Irymple : "Irymple", now part of Yathong National Park, was owned by Boy (Ike) and Dorothy Shields. ... read story
- Drilling: Tin Mine next to Dover Castle currently being exp drilled (2014/5) read story
- Brief History: Worked since 19th century. Was the main mine in area since 1920's. Tin mainly though silver/lead present. ... read story
- Drilling: Part of current drilling program(2014/5) read story
- Brief History: Mined 1891 to 1920's.Was known for richness of ore. Currently undergoing extensive exp drilling(2014/5) program. read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
James Ward Practical Taylor (6 February 2012)
contributed by tdconep
(contact tdconep about this story)
James Thomas Ward (Jimmy) was my grandfather. The picture of this shop is the second I have found of his time working through country Queensland. His earlier shop in Monto still stands in the main street.
Jimmy (Grandpa) was a bit of a character. My mother and aunty have hundreds of stories to tell of their father's times in the country.
My favourite is when he and my grandmother headed off the local policeman who was on the way to the pub to raid the SP bookie. Jimmy chatted up the policeman while nanna (Mary) ducked around the back way to the pub to warn the bookie and retrieve the book which she proceeded to hide in her bread bin!
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Locality 'Cracow'.