- Bush Fatality: Copy of Article in Western Star Thought this might interest some. I am unsure of the year but I would say ... read story
- Birds of Queensland - #3 - Bli Bli: Being drafted. read story
- Birds of Queensland - #2 - Mooloolaba: Being drafted. read story
- Birds of Queensland - #1 - Brisbane: Being drafted. read story
- Coffee Break: Elbow Hill is about 13k from Cowell if you're travelling South or 28k past Arno Bay if you're going North.... read story
- kenny thornton stockman: my father Kenny worked on oorindi sheep station back in 1955 i have not met and he does not ... read story
- Origin of Moline Mining Area name: Northern Hercules was renamed after my grandfather, Arthur Howard Prichard Moline when it was being used as a processing ... read story
- oldosc: Gooday My Name Osc I was a 10 pound pom back in ' 59(must have been a year or two ago).... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
James Ward Practical Taylor (6 February 2012)
contributed by tdconep
(contact tdconep about this story)
James Thomas Ward (Jimmy) was my grandfather. The picture of this shop is the second I have found of his time working through country Queensland. His earlier shop in Monto still stands in the main street.
Jimmy (Grandpa) was a bit of a character. My mother and aunty have hundreds of stories to tell of their father's times in the country.
My favourite is when he and my grandmother headed off the local policeman who was on the way to the pub to raid the SP bookie. Jimmy chatted up the policeman while nanna (Mary) ducked around the back way to the pub to warn the bookie and retrieve the book which she proceeded to hide in her bread bin!
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Locality 'Cracow'.